Sunday, April 26, 2009

woot! 75 lb weighted dips

We didn't make it to our regular gym today, so we had to go to the campus gym today. I'm not a huge fan of the campus gym. It looks nice, but it's not exactly a gym set up for people with above average training goals. Anyhow, I lugged along my dip belt and 3/4" rope to the gym in an attempt to get a decent workout. Folding over the rope two times gave me 4 strands to imitate a 3" rope for rope pullups. Oof! That was a serious grip killer. I barely got 8 reps before my forearms were telling me to let go.

Then it was on to weighted dips. I banged out 50lbs with no trouble, so I thought I'd try 75lbs. Surprisingly, those weren't as hard as I thought they would be. I managed one set of 4 and one set of 5. I guess the muscle up and iron cross training on the rings has been helping my dip strength since I haven't done any weighted dips in over a month.

Finally, I have decided to take grip training more seriously since my wrists are starting to bother me again and my grip is starting to become my limiting factor in doing deadlifts. The rope pull ups will be a regular part of my training for the next month. Today, I tried pinching 5 lb plates together. That sounds easy, but I could only pinch 3 plates together (for an 18s hold). I didn't make it to 4 plates. My attempt at 4 plates embarassingly clanged to the floor.

No comments: